home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Better RVing
login | lost password | register
Home » Electrical » Onan generator Messages in this topic - RSS
5/11/2010 8:55:06 AM
wdwilson
wdwilson
Posts 7
I have a 2008 Allegro Bus with an 8KW Onan generator. I run the generator about once a month for an hour under a load with the air conditioner on. During a Lazy Days class with Steve he suggested that the oil be changed along with the air filter, oil filter and fuel filter. I had this done and the generator has 52 hours on it presently. Now for the problem: When I start the generator it runs for 1 to 2 minutes, the light on the switch goes out as the generator dies. I just filled the fuel tank thinking it might have been to low, it was slightly below 1/2 full. I appreciate your input. Walt Wilson

--
Walt
5/11/2010 9:12:11 AM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
The Onan generator should give a fault code after a fault shut down. The light on the start/stop switch will flash. One flash is a high temp shut down. Two flashes is an engine oil shut down. Three flashes would be a shut down from some other abnormal condition and would require service. If no fault is showing, check for a fuel problem.
5/11/2010 9:47:22 AM
wdwilson
wdwilson
Posts 7
Steve: The switch flashes rapidly when starting. When it starts it runs smoothly then the light goes off just asw the generator dies. There are no flashes on the switch light other than the rapid flash while waiting to start. The oil level is on the full mark, fuel is full and I assume there is enough coolant, I stuck my finger in the fill hole and couldn't feel anything. Any further direction?

--
Walt
5/11/2010 11:16:08 AM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
Flashing when starting is the pre-heat mode. Flashing after shut down would be fault code. No fault code showing possible fuel problem. Check for leaks?
5/11/2010 11:35:05 AM
wdwilson
wdwilson
Posts 7
No leaks. Sometimes it will run for up to 2 min. Could it be something to do with the auto gen start?

--
Walt
5/11/2010 12:23:11 PM
wdwilson
wdwilson
Posts 7
Steve: I re set the inverter/auto gen start functions and everything is working fine now. The problem is I don't know what change corrected the problem. Any ideas?

--
Walt
5/11/2010 1:06:15 PM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
Auto gen start could have been programmed for quite time or run time causing the generator to shut down.
7/13/2010 2:23:40 PM
sandee
sandee
Posts 2
Steve, I have a 1999 Newmar DutchStar. My gas generator will run approx. 15 min and shut down - like someone has cut it off, no sputtering. It doesn't matter if any appliance is turned on or not. Can you give me an idea to which way to go? Oil, air filter, sparklug, etc. have all been changed. This is done regularly.

--
ted
7/13/2010 7:14:47 PM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
If you have auto gen start check the settings. Check the red window on the start/stop switch for a fault code(flashes). Check fuel line at generator after shudown, if it is dry it could be a fuel pump problem. What is the model and spec number of generator?
7/14/2010 3:50:02 PM
sandee
sandee
Posts 2
Steve, the generator is a microlite 4000 KY series - serial # I98X048919.

--
ted
7/15/2010 5:43:36 PM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
Anytime information is needed for an Onan generator the Spec letter must be included. 4000KY spec?
Onan service manual states:
Engine starts and runs, then stops. Set restarts immediately or after cool down period.
1. Low fuel level. More than 1/4 tank needed.
2. Faulty choke.
3. Fuel vapor lock.
4. Contaminated fuel.
5. Low oil.
6. restricted air intake.
11/30/2011 5:29:54 PM
jabajayco
jabajayco
Posts 1
I have a Jayco Designer with a Onan 5500 Marquis Gold generator. We do not use it often othe then when dry camping, transistioning from on park to another or at tail gates. I have replaced the carburator twice now and it is refusing to start agiain. I can not buy a rebuilt carb, you can not take the carb out without taking the generator out and running this monster for 8 hours every month is ridiculous. Any body have any solutions. I heard this model was called a carbeater instead of a generator. Putting in the aditive from Onan did not work. The unit sits in Arizpna during the summer and the park does not have starting services. Can I prep the generator prior to storage? Drain the carb bowel? Turn off the fuel and run the generator dry? Any suggestions?

--
jabajohnson
12/1/2011 1:40:31 PM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
There are a couple of things you can do to prevent fuel problems. Excercising your generator consist of running under a load for two hours a month. This does not have to be done all at once, it can be done in 30 minute intervals. Another possibility is to use a fuel stabilizer in the fuel and run the generator after the stabilizer has been added to be sure it is in the generator carb. This will only take care of the fuel problem. The other reason the generator needs to be exercised is to keep slip rings and brushes clean. The only sure way to keep in shape is to exercise generator. Fuel should not be stored for more than 30 days.
pages: 1

Home » Electrical » Onan generator