home recent topics recent posts search faq  
Better RVing
login | lost password | register
Home » Electrical » XANTREX Inverter/Charger system problem Messages in this topic - RSS
4/23/2012 4:37:22 PM
Jeepinggators
Jeepinggators
Posts 17
I have a Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger in my '06 Fleetwood Expedition, along with a Xantrex Freedom Inverter/Charger Basic Remote. (The coach came with paperwork/instructions for a Freedom 458 Remote On/Off Switch - - but as I can't find it anywhere and it shows to be plugged into the "remote" jack on the Inverter/charger, the same data jack the Basic Remote plugs into - - I expect I don't have a remote on/off switch.)

Say if I should look further for the Remote on/off switch and where.

Problem is that the Freedom Basic Remote now indicates nothing - - - no lights at all. Although I may not have all Freedom Basic Remote installation instructions, it appears that the only electrical connection to the Freedom Basic Remote is the data (5 wire cable using 6 pin telephone jacks for termination) cable. And I must look for a break in the cable to cure the problem. Unless there is a fault in the Remote. I have found a break in the white wire and repaired It.

Is it ok to just unplug the data cable from the inverter/charger? Will that lead to some problems? Inverter/charger seems to be operating ok - - Inverter makes AC when I pull shore power. I guess It charges the batteries when shore power is present.

I'm looking for the best way to trouble shoot. I could get a 40'-50' length of 5 or 6 wire telephone cable and plug it in to inverter/charger and the remote. To make sure I don't initiate a problem doing that, I should know which pin in the inverter/charger connects to which pin in the remote. A schematic of each would be extremely helpful.

I appreciate your help.

--
'06 Fleetwood Expedition and '05 Jeep TJ Rubicon
4/24/2012 1:14:58 PM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
Your remote panel is your on/off switch. Get a short cable and remove your remote and connect to inverter at the inverter. The inverter also has on/off controls on the inverter until you get the remote working again. The inverter is an expensive piece of equipment and I would not experiment with troubleshooting. This website will help with information about your remote panel http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/default/freedom-458-basic-remote.aspx
5/6/2012 11:50:14 AM
Jeepinggators
Jeepinggators
Posts 17
I did get a short cable and attached the remote directly to the inverter. Works normally. Now I need to find the break(s) in the installed cable. I can't tell visually - - but are all 6 wires in the cable used? (if I find a break in a wire not used - - I won't repair that spot)

--
'06 Fleetwood Expedition and '05 Jeep TJ Rubicon
5/6/2012 5:35:32 PM
Steve Roddy
Steve Roddy
Lazydays Employee
Posts 734
Yes, all wires are used. It would be best just to run a new cable.
pages: 1

Home » Electrical » XANTREX Inverter/Charger system problem